Dr. Tate to participate in Iditarod

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles
Dr. Gayle Tate, DVM of Woodbury has been selected to be a trail veterinarian for the 2013 Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, which covers approximately 1000 miles from Anchorage to Nome, Alaska.

The race will start on Saturday, March 2.

Forty-five volunteer vet-erinarians will move along the trail to Nome, which typically takes 14-15 days for all of the sled dog teams to finish.

To be selected, vet-erinarians must have at least five years of clinical experience and be prepared to work long hours in arctic conditions. Since there is no road access, volunteers travel by small airplane to the checkpoints. Accom-modations vary from wilderness wall tents to small community buildings in native villages.

Annually, approximately 80 percent of those veterinarians selected to the staff are veterans of the race, with the remaining 20% being rookies to the Iditarod. As part of their preparation, rookie veterinarians are required to attend a three-day training seminar prior to the race start. Working with the mushers and their exuberant canine athletes, meeting other enthusiastic volunteers, visiting with residents of remote villages, and experiencing the beauty of the Alaskan wilderness, are all reasons why veterinarians choose to volunteer year after year.

To be eligible to enter the race, each canine athlete must pass a physical exam and undergo comprehensive screening, including electrocardiography (ECGs) and blood tests (CBCs/Chemistry Panels). In addition, all are permanently identified by a microchip implant.

It is estimated that over 10,000 routine veterinary examinations are performed along the race course. Heart rate and rhythm, hydration, appetite, attitude, body weight, lungs and feet, are typically evaluated. Each musher carries a dog team diary which is presented to a veterinarian at every checkpoint. These serve to document the physical exams.

During a 24 hour period, dogs will run a total of around 12 hours, with run rest cycles of approximately 4-6 hour intervals. Mushers and veterinarians receive far less rest!

For more information on the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, visit the website, www.Iditarod.com or contact Chief Veterinarian Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr. at (907) 351-1459.
Read more from:
Comment   Email   Print
Members Opinions:
February 25, 2013 at 11:58pm
Congratulations again Dr. Tate I cannot believe it has been a year since you went before!!! Be careful, and you are the best vet ever and "whiskey" says do too!!! He is doing great!!!
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: