Man Reportedly Beaten Found on Greenbriar St.

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles

Woodbury Patrolman John Fesmire was dispatched to 113 Greenbriar St. on Nov. 17 in reference to an assault. When he arrived, he saw several individuals standing around a man who was lying on the ground. The person on the ground was the purported victim of the alleged assault and was identified as Stephen Bennett.

Kris Cross and Chase McLaughlin were two of the people standing over Bennett. They told Patrolman Fesmire they saw the man (Bennett) lying in the street, so they stopped to help him.

Cross and McLaughlin stated that Bennett told them that Allen Weeden had stomped him because he (Bennett) wouldn’t give Weeden some pills.

Patrolman Fesmire knelt down to speak with Bennett. Bennett told the officer that “they” had stomped him. When Patrolman Fesmire asked who “they” were, Bennett said Allen Weeden. Bennett stated Weeden was the only person involved.

Patrolman Fesmire observed a bruise on the back of Bennett’s right hand. Bennett also had the odor of an alcoholic beverage about his person.

Emergency Medical Services arrived to tend to Bennett. Patrolman Fesmire noticed Weeden approaching the scene at that time and pulled him to the side.

Initially, Weeden acted very unaware of the situation and pretended not to know anything. Patrolman Fesmire informed Weeden he had been told by several people that he (Weeden) was directly involved in what had happened. At this point Weeden told the officer he was going to be honest and stated that Jeremy Cope and Joseph Starnes (aka Matt Young) were at Bennett’s home when Cope sent a text message to him to come to the house.

Weeden said that while he was there, Bennett became confrontational about his basketball skills and wanted to play a game. Weeden said he told Bennett it was too cold and he wasn’t going to play. Weeden said Bennett pulled a knife and cornered him.

Weeden began acting out the events for the officer, putting his hand behind his back to illustrate his vulnerable position. Weeden said he was able to maneuver around Bennett (he acted this scene out as well), which caused Bennett to fall.

Weeden said Bennett fell into a table inside the house and struck his head. Weeden said he went to leave and Bennett tried to get into his car. Weeden also said that Cope and Starnes tried to leave and Bennett tried to get into Cope’s car.

When asked to describe the knife, Weeden said it was a blue box cutter. Weeden stated to Patrolman Fesmire that the victim (Bennett) was drunk. The officer informed Weeden he could smell some alcohol about him (Weeden) and he said he had a shot (of liquor).

One of the victim’s sons arrived on the scene. He spoke with Sgt. John House and they went inside the home. Once Patrolman Fesmire finished speaking with Weeden, he left with his mother. EMS also left the scene at the time with the victim.

When Patrolman Fesmire entered the home, the smell of burned marijuana was very apparent. There was tobacco and some items on the floor near the table that made it seem as though the table had been struck or suddenly moved. On the table was observed an empty plastic baggie and a set of hemostats which were burned on the tips. Bennett’s son said his father didn’t have a blue box cutter. A red box cutter was spotted on the floor near the sofa.

Sgt. House spotted a plate under the sofa. On it were a cut straw and a tube from an ink pen.

Bennett’s son who lived at the home said he had spoken with his brother, who stated he had received a call from Jeremy Cope. Cope allegedly told the brother that as he (Cope) was leaving the house, Weeden was stomping on the victim.

The officers left the house and went to the hospital to speak with the Bennett. When asked why he had not reported that Cope and Starnes were witnesses to the alleged assault, Bennett said he didn’t want to get them involved.

Bennett stated that Weeden knocked on his door and wanted to buy some pills. When Bennett declined, he said Weeden knocked him into the table and then began to stomp on him.

While at the hospital, officers observed Bennett had a knot on his forehead above his right eye. He said Weeden stomped him four to five times. Bennett said he called 911 and then crawled outside.

When asked about the baggie, hemostats, smell of marijuana and plate with a straw and pen tube, Bennett denied knowledge of any of the items. Patrolman Fesmire reported Bennett was resistant to allowing hospital staff to perform tasks and tests necessary to properly treat him.

Sgt. House and Patrolman Fesmire explained to Bennett he had the option of speaking with a judicial commissioner if he wanted to attempt to get a warrant against any of the parties involved in the incident and left the hospital.

Read more from:
Comment   Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: