Former Judge Dies At Cannon County Courthouse

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles

A former Circuit Court judge died Tuesday morning just before General Sessions Court was to begin at the Cannon County Courthouse.

Judge James K. Clayton, retired from the 16th Judicial District, reportedly collapsed in the entryway to the courtroom. Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

Judge Clayton served as Circuit Court Judge for Cannon County for several years before retiring in August 2008.

Judge Clayton practiced law following his retirement from the bench and was due to be in court Tuesday to represent a client.

General Sessions Judge Susan Melton, visably shaken by the death of her colleague, cancelled court Tuesday and all cases on the docket were reset to a later day.

One defendant scheduled to appear in court stood and led the room in prayer while emergency personnel were administering aid to Judge Clayton, and several defendants expressed their sympathy and condolences to Judge Melton as they were leaving.

Clayton was first elected Circuit Court Judge in 1984 after spending 12 years as a General Sessions Court Judge in Rutherford County.

In his over 36 years on the bench Clayton has presided over countless defendants and trials many of which were in Cannon County.

He apparently suffered a heart attack, and he was unable to be revived.

Clayton was the first juvenile court judge in Rutherford County.

Friends and colleagues described him as a perfect gentleman and a professional, who set a standard everyone on the bench should strive-for.

Clayton was said to have had heart problems in the past.

A visitation will be held on Saturday, May 7 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Woodfin Memorial Chapel in Murfreesboro. A memorial service will take place on Sunday, May 8 at 3 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church in Murfreesboro.

Read more from:
Comment   Email   Print
Members Opinions:
May 05, 2011 at 12:34pm
I thought a lot of Judge Clayton and he was a good man. I am outraged over the incompetent way the medical treatment of him was handled. I know people who were due in court at the time of his collapse and saw everything that went on.

It took the ambulance almost 15 minutes to drive from one street to the next. During that time CPR was being performed and Nathan went downstairs to get the aed to use on Judge Clayton. When he got back upstairs it didn't even have any batteries in it. Are we that backwoods that we can't even remember to check the batteries on a device that could save someone's life? Who is in charge of an emergency plan if something like this were to happen? Has anyone been trained on how to use a aed?

During the time cpr was being given, they were allowing people to walk across the man laying in the floor and enter into the courtroom. How pathetic is that!!! The ambulance people stopped the ambulance outside of the courthouse and got out and put their raincoats on before they walked into the building. Are you kidding me???? How can things like that happen?

Jusge Clayton lost valuable time and had little support that possibly cost him his life. Who is going step up and lead in this county? Who is going to understand that things like this are unacceptable?
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: