The newly elected Commander of the Hilton Stone American Legion Post 279 in Woodbury is Commander Christine Barrett. Commander Barrett retired from the United States Air Force with 20 plus years of
She first enlisted in the U.S. Navy. During basic training she served as Flight Leader. She was medically discharged one week before graduation from Naval Basic Training. Several years later she enlisted with the 141st Civil Engineer Flight, Washington Air National Guard, and completed basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, as Flight Leader and Honor Graduate.
She moved to Tennessee in 1976 and served with the Tennessee Air National Guard, 118th Civil Engineering Flight. This is when she met her husband of 33 years, Alvin Barrett. Later Commander Barrett served as Secretary to the Deputy Commander for Resources, 118th Tactical Airlift Wing. Commander Barrett served with the Air Force Reserve, Dover AFB, Delaware and ended her career with th 118 Air Control Squadron in Kennesaw, Georgia.
Commander Barrett began her service with the American Legion in 2000, becoming a member of Post 88 in Donelson. When the Hilton Stone American Legion Post 279 was chartered, the Barretts transferred their membership locally. Christine and Alvin have been very active with Post 279, serving in various positions of responsibility. Alvin currently serves on the Post 279 Executive Board. Under Commander Barrett's leadership, Post 279 will continue to provide the best service to our Veterans and their families, our Youth, and our Community. Some of our special projects are:
- Boys State and Girls State Programs; American Legion Oratorical Contest;
- Post 279's first American Legion Baseball Team with Tony Stinnett as their Coach;
- Woodbury Nursing Home Veterans Program;
- Honoring the outstanding employees of the County and the City of Woodbury;
- The Annual TWRA Childrens Fishing Rodeo;
- Scholarship for a graduating senior at Cannon County High School;
- Special Olympics;
- Good Ole Days;
- Armed Forces Day Parade;
- Red Apple Days;
- Annual Christmas Parade;
- Veterans Day Program at Cannon County High School, and the Annual
- Veterans Day Parade honoring the Veterans of Cannon County
- Friends of REACH Horse Show;
- Woodbury Lions Club Horse Show;
- Back Packs for School Children Program;
Commander Barrett served in many distinguished duty assignments with the United States Air Force. She received numerous awards for her outstanding, distinguished, and meritorious service. Commander Barrett's main goal is to bring more veteran's into Post 279, where they can also be a part of working with our youth and others within the community.