Courier Sports Report
Photo by RONNY BURKS
Cannon County’s softball team is off to a 9-5 start overall, 3-3 in District 8-AA.
The Lionettes are coming off a doubleheader sweep of York Institute, winning 9-0 and 1-0 to even the district slate
Ally Parton drove in the go-ahead run to give the Lionettes the lead in the sixth inning of the 1-0 win. Brianna Nichols walked to start the sixth and went from first to third on a single by Tessa Resko. Parton, who had three hits, delivered the game-winning hit in the sixth.
Sophomore pitcher Kristen Hale pitched four innings and allowed no runs and one hit to earn the win on the mound.
Jessica Elmy earned the start on the mound and pitched two innings of no-hit ball before giving way to Hale, who struck out nine.
* The Lionettes dropped a tough 4-0 setback against DeKalb County in league action.
Macy Clements led the Lionettes with a 2-for-3 performance. She had singles in the third and fifth innings to try and start rallies to no avail. Molly Williams, Nichols, Resko and Fann also had hits for the Lionettes.
* Cannon County jumped out to an early lead against Upperman but was unable to maintain it in a 6-2 setback. The Lionettes erased a 1-0 lead with two in the third. Molly Williams drove in a run with a double and Nichols added another RBI double to put the Lionettes ahead 2-1.
The lead would be shortlived.
Upperman came up with two in the fourth to regain the lead for good.
Molly Williams was 2-for-4 for the Lionettes, who also received hits from Macy Williams, Nichols, Clements and Maddy Simons.
Hale struck out seven in seven innings of work.
* Cannon County had a strong showing in the Gordonsville Tournament.
The Lionettes beat Gordonsville 1-0 behind the dominant pitching of Jessica Elmy, who struck out nine and scattered six hits. Hale got the save by recording the final two outs.
Cannon County’s second game in pool play did not go as well in a 11-0 loss to Peters Township. Ally Parton led the Lionettes with a 1-for-1 performance. Hale struck out four hitters.
* Cannon County bounced back in game three of pool play and blanked Huntland, 5-0.
Hale led the Lionettes at the plate and on the mound. She had a double and reached twice. Hale did the most damage on the mound. She struck out seven and allowed just one hit in five innings. Macy Clements and Maddy Simons singled for Cannon County.
* Cannon County topped DCA, 10-3, in the Gordonsville Tournament. Molly Williams reached base three times, scored a run and drive in another. She also doubled. Hale earned the victory. The Lionettes fell to Franklin County 5-1 in the final game. Molly Williams had an RBI single.