There are twenty-four “Walk Across Tennessee” teams in Cannon County this Spring striving to log 500 miles of physical activity in five weeks starting April 7. That is more team than last fall. We have one complete returning team, the 1962 Golden Girls, a group of friends who are members at the Senior Center. They are certainly setting an excellent example for all of us to remain active throughout life.
We also have the youngest team we’ve ever had, Pink Nightmare. The team captain is ten years old. We should all cheer on these young people as they begin this journey toward being physically active.
Local businesses are forming teams as well. First National Bank has an inner office rivalry going on between the Cheetah Girls and Kickin’ Asphalt. Regions Bank and First Bank are participating for the first time with Eddie and the Regionettes and Bankin’ On It.
For the Walk Across Tennessee program participants record miles individually and keep track of their total for the week. It is turned into the team captain who gives the team total for each week to the UT Extension Office. Weekly totals will be shared on a map ofTennesseelocated at the UT Extension, Cannon County Office. FromMemphistoNashvilleit is 210 miles, 388 miles toKnoxvilleand 500 miles toBristol,TN. Good luck to all of the teams and whether or not they make it to 500 miles they are all being active which is good for their health.
The WAT teams are as follows:
- 1962 Golden Girls – Reba Denny, Linda Lee King, Faye Smithson, Katie Prater, & Virginia Rogers
- Bankin’ On It – Hollie Parker, Mindy Gunter, Cynthia Kodavanti, Charlie Gunter, & Cindy Borzick
- CC Health Dept. – Linsey Arfsten, Andrea Fox, Nick Arfsten, Michael Railing, & Joyce Mason
- Cheetah Girls – Britta Phillips, Judy Spry, Felicia Brown, Denise Johnson, & Angela Moore
- Eddie & the Regionettes – Cheryl Johnson, Eddie Sykes, Glenda Sykes, Sandra Walker, & Freddie Walker
- Galloping Chicks – Alice Pack, Katie-Marissa Pack, Jessica Johnson, Shannon Jones, & Linda Jennings
- In Your Face – Kim Smithson, Jenni Arnold, Teresa Stoetzel, Susan Taylor, & Diane Foster
- Java Janes – Beth Davis, Sarah Pruitt, Lara Bodary, Jessica Mason, & Andrea Morris
- Kickin’ Asphalt – Shellie Rigsby,KristaTrail, Kasey Bogard, Michele Asbury, & Cindy Pitts
- No Pain, No Gain! – Sarah Nokes, Cathey Parker, Trisah Robinson, Ray Robinson, & Augusta Donnell
- Old Souls – Dale Collins, Art Bensmiller, AustinJennings, Virgil Young, & David Peeler
- Pink Nightmare – Aidan Davis, August Morris,EdenBodary, Claire Bodary, & Cadee Davis
- Proclaimers –BerryWeigle, Barbara Davis, Ronald Davis, Debbie Parker, & Kristen Gold
- Quick Steppers – Doris Markum, Bob Paredes, Hub Haley, JaneJennings, & Don Walterhouse
- Roadrunners – Sharon Shirley, Danny Shirley, Alison Roberts, Gail Markum, & Charles Markum
- TeamWest Side– Tammy Noblin, Kathy Mullins, Melissa Anderson, Lori Campbell & Kendria Smithson
- Thursday’s Locos – Melissa Teply, Saul Teply, Eli Morris, Amy Harrington, & Will Harrington
- Walkie Talkies – Carla Bush,CharlottePeay, Valerie Bush, Brian Elrod, & Tracy Elrod
- Walking Wonders – Dorinda Mankin, Rachel Young, Dannette Mooneyham, Lisa Baird, & Penny Daniels
- Warrior Walkers – Joanie Blackburn, Chris Blackburn, Anita Patrick, Melanie Fann, & Ray Patrick
- Whippoorwill Walkers – Andrea George, Beth George, Heather George, Evan Sharp, & Sherry Simpson
- WW Walkers 1 – Jackie Pitts, Hazel Davis, Penny Gray, Brittany Fults, & Lori Schmitz
- WW Walkers 2 – Betty Keaton, Charlene Golf, Krista Puckett, Pat Williamson, & Elizabeth Hartfield
- WW Walkers 3 – Terry Frala, Marie Frala, Jan Bishop, & Mark Bishop
Being physically active is one of the best things you can do to improve and maintain your health, yet nearly two-thirds of Americans aren’t getting the activity they need. Consider taking up walking with your friends and your family. For more information about Walk Across Tennessee contact Carla Bush, Family and Consumer Sciences Agent at the UT Extension, Cannon County Office, 615-563-2554.