State Looking For Partners For Food Program

Comment   Email   Print
Related Articles

The Tennessee Department of Human Services (TDHS) is working to find more partners next year to serve as sponsors of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP).

The CACFP is a federally funded program that provides meals to children and adults who meet age and income requirements. TDHS administers the program in partnership with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to reimburse sponsoring organizations for meals that meet or exceed federal nutrition standards. Meals are available to all eligible participants without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.

Last fiscal year sponsors served more than 40 million meals across Tennessee.

Potential CACFP sponsors include:

· Licensed child care centers.

· Head Start programs.

· Emergency shelters providing residential and food services to children.

· Family child care homes.

· After-school programs.

· Adult day care centers.

TDHS is now accepting applications for organizations that want to take part in the CACFP next year and will continue to accept them until August 1, 2020. All applications must be approved prior to September 30, 2020.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, healthy eating can help maintain healthy body weight and reduce the risk of developing health conditions. For children, healthy eating has been associated with improved cognitive function and reduced absenteeism.

To learn more about the CACFP visit

Agencies who may be interested in CACFP are encouraged to attend training sessions hosted by the Department of Human Services. For more information email or call (615) 313-4749. A list of current CACFP providers is available at:

All meals are available at no charge. Foster children or children who are part of a household receiving SNAP, FDPIR, or TANF assistance or a Head Start participant are automatically eligible to receive free meal benefits. Adult participants who are members of SNAP or FDPIR households or adults who are SSI or Medicaid participants are also automatically eligible to receive free meal benefits.

Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 6907442; or (3) email: This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Read more from:
Comment   Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: