Part of a continuing series.
By ROBERT D. BUSH
David Anglin assumed the position as postmaster when it was moved from the hamlet of Woodville to Danville. In 1828 Henry D. McBroom received the appointment for post master. Water Street, running parallel with the river, had been up to that time the main route through the village of Danville.
Settlers had also taken up lands west of Danville that had clustered into another small hamlet centered around a grist mill. Warren County being formed about 1807 surveyed their western boundary line just west of this settlement that formed later on across the river. Occupants there began to call this community in later years 'Edgefield.'
This new Stagecoach Road threaded its way through and alongside the many riverbends of this east fork of the Stones. Some believed that the 'first road' - the Stones River Road, that preceded the Stagecoach Road - was laid out as far south as today's 'Sunny Slope.' It may have followed an old Native American Trail. This first road continued west, crossing the Brawley Fork Creek and a crossroads - an early road path out of the north toward Wilson county that led into the upper waters of a southern branch of the east fork of the Stones- known later as the Brawley Fork Creek.
It is now believed that a man named Charles Ready had some type of inn or 'orderly' near a place the Rutherford County Court had recently described as "Ready's Mill," located at a conspicuous bend in this same east fork of the Stones. The inn may have even been near this crossroads?
When this new stagecoach road was laid out, beginning about 1811, the mail was not routed to Murfreesborough until sometime after 1813 when the first postmaster was appointed there. Ready saw to it that this new stage coach road would pass his stage stand, grist mill and new postal stop now being called Readyville.
By the 1820s a well established road now ran from Readyville to a new town surveyors laid out at the geographic center of the state of Tennessee, early Rutherford County, they first named Cannonsburgh - changed later by the Rutherford County Court to Murfreesborough.
Stagecoaches were being most frequently seen along this road by the 1820s. The mail did not run regularly, however. Before these stage coaches were running on a regular basis the mail was carried overland in saddlebags taking several days to travel the route by horseback.
There had long been suspicions about early settlements such as Readyville, Liberty and Danville as someday being locations/or future seats of Justice. As previously mentioned, about 1814, John Wood, first known settler in the area of 'Hills Creek' located along the upper waters of the east fork of this Stones River, created a stage stop that led through a valley first referred to as 'Woodland Flat' just east of a hamlet that was later named Danville. A log meeting house known as 'Prospect Church' also stood nearby this early stage road. His descendants later built a house on a flat knoll called 'Hill Top'. Wood named the site Woodville. An increase in population is certainly evident all along this stage coach road that ran by another mail stop that preceded Woodville, operated by this same Charles Ready, established 1811.
According to the late Dr. Thomas Wood, who once practiced medicine at Woodbury, said to this effect, "John Wood, along with a party of settlers entered the Cumberland River at Nashville, traveled by boat upriver where they entered the main channel of the Stones River." It is believed John Wood came from Maryland.
I was recently reminded about this small 'Wood party's excursion into the wilds of middle Tennessee's remote waterways while taking a riverboat cruise on the 'General Jackson' some time back. As it steamed upriver, fighting strong undercurrents- I looked out upon the mouth of the River Stones as we passed by it, how difficult it must have been for these early settlers to guide and steer their small watercrafts out of these choppy waters of the Cumberland to enter a smaller river stream called the Stones. The Wood party's intentions were to claim, purchase and occupy some public lands in the remotest regions of these upper waters, identified by surveyors as the east fork of this Stones River. (continued)