The deadline for high school seniors who wish to apply for the Tennessee Promise Scholarship is quickly approaching. The last day to apply is November 2. Information about the scholarship is available online at www.tnpromise.gov
The Tennessee Promise program is now a year old and is having a positive impact on the number of students attending college in our state. Below are facts to consider when choosing the college of your choice.
because it is one of the few private four-year universities that is participating in the Tennessee Promise program. At Cumberland, students can use the Tennessee Promise Scholarship to earn an associate degree - tuition free, then transition directly into a 4-year baccalaureate degree program. Learn more at www.cumberland.edu
Cumberland University connects all aspects of learning from traditional classroom lectures, to online, to experiential learning. Whether you want to impact the next generation through teaching, demonstrate care and compassion through health care, or be a pioneer of tomorrow's industries, Cumberland can provide the resources and preparation for students to be successful. Cumberland also offers pre-professional academic areas of focus such as Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Law, and Pre-Medicine.
The Tennessee College of Applied Technology Hartsville which serves as the premier supplier of workforce development for Trousdale, Sumner, Wilson, Smith and Macon Counties. The College fulfill its mission by:
• Providing competency-based training through superior quality, traditional and distance learning instruction methods that qualify completers for employment and job advancement;
• Contributing to the economic and community development of the communities served by training and retraining employed workers;
• Ensuring that programs and services are economical and accessible to all residents of Tennessee; and
Volunteer State Community College's educational offerings include more than traditional degree and certificate programs.Vol State also offers non-credit continuing education classes for both professional and personal needs.They host cultural events that are open to the public and serves the community with projects and programs designed to make a difference.
Who Can Become a tnAchieves Mentor?
- Any individual who wants to invest 10-15 hours annually assisting 5-10 high school seniors with post-secondary success
- Must be 21 years or older
- Subject to a background check
To Become a tnAchieves Mentor, You Must:
- Apply online by November 20
- Complete mandatory mentor training by February 15
- Attend first mentor/student meeting in March/April
- Attend second mentor/student meeting in October
- Contact students at least once every two weeks from the following March through December
An Effective Mentor:
- Makes initial contact with students before first mentor/student team meeting
- Reaches out to parents/guardians if possible
- Reminds students of all meetings and deadlines
- Attends both team meetings
- Encourages students to reach their potential
- Plays an active role in eliminating barriers associated with post-secondary access and success
- Assists students with community service opportunities
- Lessens the post-secondary intimidation factor by sharing personal experiences