The American General Rides To Stakes Class Win
TONY STINNETT, Courier Co-Editor
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:02 am
Larry Edwards, atop The American General, is presented awards by, from left, Ashley Parker, BJ Daniel, Carly Pelham, Hannah Nave, Brett Motlow and Wilder Mankin, after winning the Walking Horse State Class.
Larry Edwards rode The American General to a first-place finish in the Walking Horse Stake Class at the 73rd annual Woodbury Lions Club Horse Show at Clayton Glenn Champions Arena Saturday (July 2).
The American General is gaining steam as one of the top Walking Horses and those in attendance at the Woodbury Lions Club Horse Show were treated to another dazzling showing.
The American General, owned by Toni White of Eatonton, Ga., was the 2010 Walking Horse Trainer's Association Horse of the Year. The stunning American General capped a strong showing in the final class of the evening, besting Ted Williams, ridden by John Allan Callaway, for the title.
More than 250 horses were shown during the annual event that is considered one of the top one-night horse shows nationally. It also is considered a prelude to The Celebration in Shelbyville in August.
"We had a great horse show and all the people attending seemed to enjoy themselves," said Bruce Steelman, chairman of the Lions Club Horse Show. "We had several strong entries and that always makes the event even more special. The competition was strong and the fans enjoyed the various classes. That usually makes for a good horse show."
The show is the organization's largest fund-raiser of the year and the quality of the event keeps hundreds pouring through the turnstiles each year.
Following is a breakdwon of the 40 classes from the 2011 Woodbury Lions Club Horse Show:
1. Trigger Treat, Jeff Givens for JoAnn Dowell; 2. The Prestige, Beverly Lamp for Rushing and Lamp; 3. A Handsome Stranger, Dickie Gardner.
Walking Weanling Colts and Fillies
1. Mission Accomplished, Sylvester Skierkowski for Jerry Stephens; 2. How 'Bout Now, Karen McGee for David Kelley; 3. Master of Motion, Chris Richards.
Trail Pleasure English - Specialty
1. Pusher's Secret Rose, Susan Coleman for Phyllis Langley; 2. I'm USMC, Freda Dean; 3. Mahhvelous Poison, Heather Jackett for JNJ Stables.
1. Blue Blooded Bandit, Jeff Givens for m/m Raymond Pedigo; 2. It's My Moment, Harold Dean Givens for JoAnn Dowell.
Lite Shod English Open Specialty
1. Music City Jass, Laura Brandon; A Silk Lining, Secret Valley Farm; 3. Kick Start Jazz, Steve Sanders for Justin Manis.
Amateur Park Pleasure - Specialty
1. 2X The Magic, Jeff Duke; 2. Expedited, Ty Irby; 3. Overpass, Patti Pollack for Pollacks Silverspur Ranch.
Country Pleasure Adult
1. Mr. Papparazzi, Bo Teague; 2. Jose Hannah Montana; 2. Jose Hannah, Kasey Kesselring for Christmas Creek Farm, LLC; 3. Heat Stroke, Dr. Judy Moore for Moore & Foust Farm.
Walking Yearling Colt & Fillies
1. The Supreme Title 1st, Chris Richards for Roger Richards.
Trail Pleasure Western - Specialty
1. Victoria's Got A Secret, Sandra Dennis; 2. Contemporary Jazz, Casey Qagelring; 3. Petal Pushin Jazz, Lauren Hamilton.
Park Pleasure 4-year & Under
1. A Pushover For Cash, Jeff Laughlin for Charlotte Williams; 2. Sure Cash@The Ritz, Jacob Bawn for Lisa Bawn; 3. Armed & Dangerous, Patrick Thomas for Lisa Kessell.
Walking Yearling Fillies
1. One Classy Diamond, Beverly Lamp for Bobby Jones; 2. Ruby Diamond Ritz, Chris Richards for Mr. and Mrs. Charles Brantley; 3. Diamond Heirloom, Keith Reed for Bobby Jones.
Country Pleasure Youth
1. Royal Sparkling Ben, Tyler Diamond Pollack for Pollack's Silver Spur Ranch; 2. The Red Light, Will Cole for Phyllis Langley.
Classic Pleasure - Specialty
1. Tex Rus, Patti Pollack for Pollack Silver Spur Ranch; 2. Caterpillar, Laurie Toone for John Dickson; 3. She's Up for Parole, Robert Nelms for Carole Hargett.
1. One Classy Diamond, Molly Vaughn for Bobby Jones; 2. Ruby Diamond Jazz, John French Brantley IV for Mr. and Mrs. Charles Brantley; 3. Out There & Loving It, Amanda Odom.
Two-Year Old Walking Mares & Geldings
1. Ruby Tuesday Jose, Charlie Green for Keith Bowman; Queen of Everything, Brock Tillman for Terry Lowman; 3. Magic By Jose, Tim Smith for Sister Blackburn Milligan.
Three-Year Old Walking Mares or Geldings
1. She's A Shady Sister, Jimmy McConnell for Mike and Lee McGarthland; 2. Sapphire Gin, Brock Tillman for Dru McCormick; 3. Sir Skywatch, Charlie Green for Joe & Ann Rich.
Amateur Riders on 15.2-Under
1. Above The Line, Brad Spivey for Patricia Spivey; 2. Kudos For Cash, Dr. W.H. Hill; 3. Mark Zone, Lora Lawrence for Lane Webb and Lore Lawrence.
Park Performance Open Specialty Four-Year Old-Under
1. Bandaras, Jeff Green for Leah Boyd; 2. Antonio Banderas, Ryan Gannon for Hall-Hall; 3. MPI, Bill Callaway for Rising Star Ranch.
Juvenile on Mares & Geldings
(Riders 12-17, Specialty)
1. Spend My Money, Rhea Shumate Taylor; 2. The Avatar, Chad Cotten for Charlotte Taylor; 3. A Fire In Dixie, Robert Cortner.
Amateur Riders on Two-Year Old Walking Mares, Stallions and Geldings
1. National Hero, Taylor Walters for Molly Walters Family; 2. Evil Santana, Stacy Blackburn for Kelly Sherman; 3. Josa; Contina, Bob Adcock for The Stables at Alpha Place.
Three-Year Old Walking Stallion
1. Gin's Who Dat, Jerry Woodlee for Carol Canerday; 2. The Shutout, Jimmy McConnell for Molly Walters Family.
Amateur Riders on Three-Year Old Walking Mares or Geldings
1. Command's Simply Special, Carl Smith; 2. Ritz Diamond in the Rough, Betty Corlew; 3. Dollar's Misty Maid, Sarah Moersch for Dr. Barbara Moersch.
Amateur Riders on Three-Year Old Walking Stallions
1. Prime Country, Tyler Baucom for Robbie Hewitt; 2. Poker Face, Clay Mills for Corbin Mills; 3. Jazz Me Up, Elizabeth Tew for Lance & Rhonda Lincoln.
15.2 & Under Stallions, Mares and Geldings Canter
1. Strolling Thru The Ritz, Brandon Stoue for Jimmy Reece Family; 2. I'm Splashed, Tim Smith for Hillview Promotions; 3. The Royal Dollar, Jimmy McConnell for Mike and Lee McGortland.
Stallions, Mares or Geldings - Open
1. Absolute Proof, Bill Calloway for Ricky Young; 2. Rehab, Knox Blackburn for Old South Farms; 3. Olympic's Godfather, Edgar Abernathy for Barry Carter Family.
Amateur Riders on Four-Year Old Walking Stallions
1. Bingo Time, Sandy Shumate; 2. Bronco Billy, Jay Laughlin.
Park Performance Open
1. Jose's Favorita, Sam Perkins for Ray Jones Trucking; 2. Knights Gambler, Bruce Hankins for Kelly Sherman; 3. Gold Danger, Jerry Woodlee for Lance & Rhonda Lincoln.
1. Hydrostatic, Dru McCormick for Ann Bailey.
Open Aged Mares & Geldings Canter
1. Cheatin Danger, John Allan Callaway for Trish Harrison; 2. General Showstopper, Charlie Green for Little and Williams; 3. He's Dr. Cash, Tim Smith for Farah McAlexander.
Amateur Riders 50-older on Walking Horses - Specialty
1. The Who, Molly Walters for Molly Walters Family; 2. Terror On The Border, Nancy Groover; 3. General's Main Lady, LaRue McWaters.
Four-Year Old Walking Stallions, Mares & Geldings Canter
1. A Bruce Pearl, Jimmy McConnell for Mike and Lee McGarthland; 2. Dallas Cowboy, Joe Martin for Gus King Family; 3. He's My Main Main, John Allan Callaway for Rising Star Ranch.
Amateur Specialty Mares, Stallions or Geldings
1. C-Me-Push, Sister Milligan; 2. I'm Wallstreet, Clay Mills for Corbin Mills; 3. Johnny Ritz, Chad Cotten for Hoyte Eakes.
Walking Horse State Class Stallions, Mares or Geldings - Canter
1. The American General, Larry Edwards for Toni White; 2. Tedd Williams, John Allan Callaway for Rising Star Ranch.