Cannon County's Board of Education acted on matters ranging from its proposed budget for the fiscal year 2010-2011 to water for a football practice field during its regular monthly meeting Thursday night at the Cannon County Courthouse.
All board members were present — Chairman Randy Gannon, Roy Parker, Shannon Davenport, Chris Blackburn and Cathy Hyatt — along with Director of Schools Barbara Parker.
During the meeting the board made changes to a number of school system policies:
• Amended the school system's "Nepotism" policy to add the following item: "No employee shall be the direct supervisor over an immediate family member."
• Changed the Board's policy on "News Releases, News Conferences and Interviews" to make the Director of Schools the official spokesperson for the Board, in place of the board chairman.
• Added to the policy for "Transfer Within the System" the following item: "All transfers will be reviewed annually."
In other action the board:
• Approved Randy Farnsworth as head coach and John Robinson, Brad Hall, Chris Robinson and Bill Parsley as assistant coaches for the Cannon County Jr. Lions football team for the 2010 season. The board also approved the team's 2010 schedule, fundraisers and a motion to pay four months of the team's water bill for a field next to Woodbury Grammar School which is being used for practice and recently had new Bermuda grass installed.
• Approved field trip 793, made by Cannon County High School teacher Courtney Nichols, to attend "Leadership On The River Training" in Kelso, TN June 15-17. Fifteen students will be going.
• Approved a resolution to transfer funds from one account to another within a series for the GP, Federal and Food Service Budgets.
• Approved proposed Food Service Budget to include all future addenda and amendments.
• Approved the proposed IDEA Preschool and IDEA part B budgets to include all future addenda and amendments.
• Approved Carl Perkins Vocational CTE Year 3 Action Plan and budget for 2010-2011 School Year in the amount of $35,780 to include all future addenda and amendments.
• Approved the 2010-2011 proposed General Purpose Budget, which will now be submitted to the Cannon County Commission's Budget Committee for review and then to the full commission for approval.
• Awarded the system's mowing contract to the low bidder, Darryl's Lawn Care of Murfreesboro, owned by Darryl Chumley.
• Approved extended utilization of a bus owned by Ricky Estes of Woodbury.
• Heard a report from Marcia Melton, Supervisor of Instruction for the Cannon County School Board, on the "High Schools That Work" program which recently completed its first year at CCHS,
The next Board Workshop will be at the Central Office on Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 6 PM. The next Regular Board Meeting will be Thursday, July 8 at 6 PM at the courthouse.