Who will teach your child to bake? With kids out of school due to snow there is no better time to warm up your kitchen by baking.
In our 4-H Clubs we continue to support learning the skill of baking by having the 4-H Baking Contest in March each year. These contests are held in the classroom during their regular monthly 4-H Club meeting. Fourth graders make chocolate chip cookies; fifth grade makes biscuits; sixth grade cornbread; seventh grade banana bread; and eighth grade sweet muffins. I'm sure the baking contest brings back memories for former 4-H Club members.
Another opportunity for fourth grade 4-H'ers is the National 4-H Cornbread Cook-Off sponsored by Martha White and Lodge Cast Iron. Past winning recipes have been unique, creative and of course very tasty. Past year's winning recipes were Cheesy Corny Cornbread, Papaw's Cornbread Pudding, Sweet Potato Cornbread, Southern-style Chili Pie, "Sas Squash" Big Skillet Cornbread, Hawaiian Corn Meal Cake, and Hot & Spicy Cornbread Casserole.
This competition is open to all 4th grade 4-H'ers. Enter today by sending in an original recipe. Each recipe must be cooked in Lodge cast iron and prepared with at least one cup of Martha White Corn meal or one package of corn meal mix. Recipes will be judged and ten lucky finalists will be invited to prepare their recipe at the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, Tennessee on April 30, 2011.
The first place winner of the 4-H Cook-Off will win $500 cash prize. The 4-H teacher and 4-H agent of the winning student will also each receive $50.
The second prize winner takes home $250 and the third place contestant will receive $100. The remaining seven finalists each will win $50 and all ten finalists receive special gifts from Martha White and Lodge Cast Iron. Also, youth traveling more than 100 miles to the competition will receive $100 travel money.
Mail your recipes by March 2nd to Vicki Lofty, 2011 4-H Cornbread Cook-Off Contest, 302 Betsy Pack Drive, Jasper, TN 37347. I would be happy to help you prepare your entry for the contest once you have selected the recipe you would like to enter. You may contact me by email at HYPERLINK "mailto:email@example.com" firstname.lastname@example.org. I have assisted three finalists and one first prize winner.
For more information and complete contest guidelines, call me at 615-563-2554 or log on to HYPERLINK "http://www.nationalcornbread.com" www.nationalcornbread.com . Adults can also find out how they can enter on this website.
2011 4-H CORNBREAD COOK-OFF GUIDELINES
Martha White Corn Meal/Lodge Cast Iron 2011 National Cornbread Festival Cornbread Cook-Off seeks original cornbread recipes:
1. Each recipe must include at least one cup of Martha White Corn Meal or one package of Martha White corn meal mix and be cooked in Lodge cast iron.
2. This competition is open to all 4th grade 4-Hers.
3. If selected as top-ten finalist, the 4-Her must be willing to attend the festival for the cook-off.
4. Entries must be received by March 2, 2011. UT Extension, Martha White and Lodge Manufacturing Company are not responsible for lost, late or misdirected mail.
5. Send entries (recipes) to:
Vicki S. Lofty, County Director
2011 4-H Cornbread Cook-Off
302 Betsy Pack Drive, Jasper, TN 37347
6. Clearly label your recipe as 4-H Youth. It must include:
a. Your recipe legibly written, printed or typewritten on a sheet of 8 x 11 inch paper with your name, complete address and phone number.
b. Each recipe must include U.S. standard measurements, complete preparation instructions, cooking times and temperatures, number of servings, size of pans and any special utensils or cookware.
7. Ten finalists will be notified on or about April 1, 2011. All finalists must participate in the cook-off in South Pittsburg, TN., April 30, 2011 to be eligible to win a prize. Groceries and kitchen equipment needed by the finalist for recipe preparation at the festival are the responsibility of the finalist. Gas stoves/ovens are provided for use by participants.
8. No mixes other than the corn meal. Judging will be based on creativity as well as flavor, texture, appearance, ease of preparation and appropriate use of products.
First Prize: $500 cash & special gifts from Lodge Cast Iron & Martha White
Teacher and 4-H Agent or program assistant of winner each receive $50.
Second Prize: $250 cash & special gifts from Lodge Cast Iron & Martha White
Third Prize: $100 cash & special gifts from Lodge Cast Iron & Martha White
Seven Honorable Mention Prizes: $50.00 and gifts from Lodge Cast Iron & Martha White. Youth traveling more than 100 miles to the competition will receive $100 travel money.
10. All prizes will be awarded April 30, 2011. Contest void where prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws apply.
Contestants agree to be quoted and/or photographed and to use of their names and photographs in any form for publicity, advertising and/or trade purposes by U T Extension, Martha White or Lodge Manufacturing Company. Martha White and Lodge Manufacturing are the owners of the recipe with all accompanying rights and may alter or amend it to meet Martha White or Lodge Manufacturing Company recipe standards.
For more information about the National Cornbread Festival go to www.nationalcornbread.com
Mail to: Vicki S. Lofty, County Director - 2011 4-H Cornbread Cook-Off
302 Betsy Pack Drive, Jasper, Tennessee 37347
Entry Deadline: March 2, 2011
2011 4-H CORNBREAD COOK-OFF
City:________________________________ State: ________________
Age:_______ County: ________ Phone Number: _________ 4-H Club: ____________
Name of your School:___________________________________________________________
4-H Agent: _____________ 4-H Teacher Leader______________________________
Name of Recipe:
Ingredients (in order of use):
Method of preparation:
Number of Servings:
I agree to come to South Pittsburg and prepare my entry if I am chosen as one of the 10 finalists.