Man On Probation Charged With Trying To Break Baby's Neck

Man On Probation Charged With Trying To Break Baby's Neck

A man currently serving state probation time for attempted aggravated assault of his child was arrested at Middle Tennessee Medical Center in Rutherford County Monday afternoon after officers witnessed him trying to break an infant child's neck with his bare hands, according to a (Channel 2 News Nashville) report.

Officers were called to the hospital around 1:45 p.m. Monday amid reports there was a suspicious man holding a baby tightly in a blanket and being uncooperative with hospital security.

The man was later identified as 45-year-old Glenn Climer II.

Climer entered a best interest plea of guilty to attempted aggravated assault in Cannon County Circuit Court on Oct. 6. He was given a partially-suspended sentence of 5 years in state prison, given credit for time served, and placed on state supervised probation for 5 years. He was also ordered to stay away from the victim, the victim's family, their place of residence, and to pay court costs.

As officers spoke with Climer Monday at the hospital, they noticed the baby had bruising under the left eye.  When questioned, Climer blamed the injury on the child's mother.

When officers tried to take the baby from Climer, he refused and stated, "If it is going to be like that" and then put his hands around the baby's throat and began to twist "as if to break the baby's neck," according to a Murfreesboro police incident report.

A struggle ensued and officers were eventually able to take possession of the child.

Climer was arrested on charges of child abuse, resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer.

He was booked into the Rutherford County jail on a $31,500 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on January 11, 2012.

The Cannon County conviction of Climer II, of 1005 Clover Court, Murfreesboro, came after he was charged with aggravated criminal trespass, aggravated child endangerment and resisting arrest on March 28 by Woodbury Assistant Police Chief Kevin Mooneyham.

According to the arrest warrant issued at that time, Climer was visiting his uncle at 702 Bailey Court, Woodbury, when his actions put his uncle and other guests in fear for their safety, or in fear of harm.

Climer had left and returned and started talking to the ceiling, telling the (people) he was talking to to come and kill him.

When law enforcement attempted to get Climer to leave, he refused to do so. When officers attempted to take Climer into custody, he started pulling away, refused to comply with demands, and fought with the officers.

While officers were trying to take Climer into custody, he was holding a 1-year-old child. When his girlfriend tried to take the child from him, Climer grabbed the legs of the child and pulled them as if he were trying to pull the child in half while the girlfriend was screaming for him to let go, that he was hurting the child.

Climer was purposely trying to use the child as a shield against law enforcement and his actions were atrocious and cruel.