Lions Turn Victory Over To Indians


Lions Turn Victory Over To Indians

Cannon County's Andrew Woodin (12) tries to elude Harpeth defender Josh Dillon during playoff action Friday. (Ronny Burks photo)
Cannon County played host to the Harpeth Indians Friday night in a state playoff first round game at Fred Schwartz field. The Lions jumped out to a 6-0 lead early in the first quarter, but seven turnovers put an end to the season as they fell to the Indians, 29-20.

The first score of the game was the result of an Andrew Woodin handoff to Lee Cooper who threw a pass back to A.Woodin who streaked up the sidelines for an 80-yard touchdown. Cannon missed the extra point kick, taking a 6-0 lead with 9:06 left in the first quarter.

The second quarter saw the Lions continue their drive consuming 8 minutes of the quarter. The drive was kept alive by a 'roughing the punter' penalty against Harpeth, putting the ball at the Indians 33 yard line. The Lions moved the ball down to the Harpeth 7 yard line, but the first interception of the night was returned by the Indians to the Cannon 15 yard line.

Harpeth punched it in and with the extra point took a 7-6 lead with 6:12 remaining in the half. On Cannon's second play from scrimmage, Harpeth intercepted a Lion pass at the Cannon 24 yard line. The Lion defense was able to hold the Indians to a field goal, making the score 10-6. On Cannon's next possession, the second play from scrimmage, Harpeth made their third interception putting the ball at the Cannon 42 yard line. The Indians scored on a 29-yard play into the end zone, and with the missed extra point, took a 16-6 lead at the half.

The Lions fought their way back into the game scoring on an 88-yard touchdown run by Daniel Woodin. The two-point conversion closed the score to 16-14. The Lions continued to have problems with their passing game. The fourth Harpeth interception ended the Lions drive at the Indians 24 yard line.

Cannon got the ball back after they recovered a fumble at the Harpeth 49 yard line. The Lions moved the ball down the field to the 6 yard line where Cooper completed a TD-pass to Andrew Woodin, putting Cannon ahead 20-16 with 2:42 left in the third. A fumble by the Lions gave Harpeth the ball at the Cannon 47 yard line as the third quarter came to an end.

A play that looked as if the Lions would drop the Indians' running back for a loss, instead ended with a 33-yard touchdown pass putting Harpeth ahead 22-20 with 10:35 remaining in the game. The Indian kickoff was caught by Daniel Woodin who avoided several tackles on his way to a 90-yard touchdown run. Unfortunately, it was called back on a penalty. With under 8 minutes to play, Cannon was unable to move the ball. Two more interceptions ended their drives and ultimately their season, falling to Harpeth 29-20.