Flu season is fast approaching, and the Cannon County Health Department is offering you a way to be protected.
On Tuesday, Sept. 22 the health department will be offering seasonal flu shots as well as a pneumonia vaccine during a clinic at the Cannon County Community/Recreational Center on Lehman St.
Department officials stress that these shots are only for those wishing to reduce their risk of getting the seasonal flu, and not the new N1H1 (swine) flu virus. Officials hope to be offering vaccines to guard against that flu at a later time.
Adult and pediatric seasonal flu doses will be available during the Sept. 22 clinic. Times will be announced next week.
The influenza vaccine can be given to individuals six months of age and older. It is recommended for anyone wishing to reduce their risk of influenza; it is especially important for those who are at risk for complications from influenza and for those who live with or care for people at high risk.
People who should get the influenza vaccine include:
• All adults 50 and over
• All children 6 months to 18 years of age, especially those under 5 and those with chronic health problems or asthma.
• Anyone with a chronic health condition such as diabetes, heart disease or lung disease, or has a weakened immune system.
• Women who are, or plan to be, pregnant during flu season (October to March)
• Residents and staff of nursing homes or long term care facilities.
• Caregivers and those who live with an infant aged less than 6 months.
• All health care workers.
• Anyone who has close personal contact with someone at high risk of complications from influenza.
• Anyone who wishes to reduce their chances of getting influenza.
The cost of the seasonal flu shot is $25 for adults and $13.70 for children. The clinic will also offer the pneumonia vaccine for $41.
The pneumonia vaccine only needs to be given to anyone over age 64 and is also important for younger adults with diabetes, heart disease and chronic illness.
Payment for shots will be taken at the clinic in the form of cash or check. Medicare and TennCare can also be billed. Please bring all your insurance cards with you. Correct change is preferred. Individuals attending the clinic should wear a short sleeve shirt.
For more information contact the Cannon County Health Department at 615-563-4243.