Governor Candidate To Campaign At Joe's Place Tuesday
Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:13 pm
According to Shirley Berron, who was recently named as the Cannon County representative on Haslam's statewide leadership team, Haslam will be appearing at Joe's Place, located on the Woodbury Town Square, at 9:30 a.m.
Haslam is serving in his second term as mayor of the East Tennessee city. He is seeking the seek currently held by Governor Phil Bredesen. Bredesen can not run for another term due to term limits.
Haslam's bio includes:
• Born and Raised in Knoxville, Tennessee
• Worked at his family’s gas stations during his teenage years
• Graduated from college and married a classmate from Memphis, his wife Crissy
• Served as President and Director of Pilot Travel Centers for 18 years
• Grew the company from 800 employees to 14,000 employees
• Successfully managed the expansion of the company into 39 states
• Elected Mayor of Knoxville in 2003:
• The lowest property tax rates in 40 years
• Repeatedly named one of the ten best metro areas for “business and expansion”
• Six consecutive balanced budgets with improved quality of city services
• The region’s first coordinated approach to job recruiting called “Jobs Now”
• Rainy day fund tripled in size and lowered city’s debt by 25%
• Reelected Mayor in 2007 with 87% of the vote
• Has led innovative education initiatives
• Served as the founding Chairman of the Board of “Project Grad” which offers elementary students extensive counseling, help in math and English, and promise of scholarship assistance
• Provides leadership for “Knox Achieves”, making certain that a Community College education is affordable for students who are the first in their families to attend college.
• Has served as Elder at Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church for 21 years
• Married to Crissy for 28 years and devoted father of three children: Annie, Leigh and Will
Fore more information visit http://www.billhaslam.com/