2010 was a very busy year for Cannon County SAVE Domestic Violence Agency.
We have been working hard to provide services for clients, obtain much needed funding and provide education/trainings for our community and youth regarding domestic violence. Below is just a few of the activities/events SAVE held or participated in during 2010.
• Elder Abuse Training for Senior Center Volunteers (February 10, 2010)
• Children's Self Defense Class (April 29, 2010)
• Cannon County SAVE Horse Show (July 10, 2010)
• SAVE website was implemented (June 2010) www.cannoncountysave.org
• Ladies Self Defense Class with Martial Arts Expert Bill Taylor (July 27, 2010)
• 2nd Annual SAVE Fest (September 18, 2010)
• SVINE System Implementation: (November 2010) Victim Notification System notifies victims when perpetrators are released from jail.
• 2nd Annual Santa's Workshop (December 3, 2010)
• Cannon County Task Force is formed (October 4, 2010) Law Enforcement and SAVE combine forces in fight against domestic violence.
SAVE is a not for profit, 501 c 3 agency geared to stopping domestic violence in our community. All services to victims of violence are free. Services include but are not limited to Orders of Protection, Counseling, Court Advocacy, Continued Education, 24 hour crisis line, assistance with food, clothing, transitional housing and emergency shelter. As listed above, SAVE also provides domestic violence education/awareness for our community through trainings, classes, informational booths, etc.
We would like to thank everyone who supported this agency and volunteered their time. It was a difficult year financially but we made it through. SAVE runs on a physical year calender (July 1 through June 30). SAVE's funding for physical year July 09 to June 10 was $21,000. The funding was from grants, fund raisers, Cannon County, the City of Woodbury and private donations.
We are already into February and everyone at SAVE is off and running. We are implementing the Safe Dates curriculum at Cannon County High. The curriculum is being taught to the Freshman Class and covers definitions of Domestic Violence/Abuse, Positive Relationships, and how to get help for self or a peer in a domestic dating relationship.
SAVE is working with the Cannon County Task Force on a training for the county that will be held here in Woodbury. The training is a 32 hour course taught by the Rutherford County Task Force. It is Post Certified for all law enforcement. Invitations have been sent to EMS, Dispatch, Cannon County Sheriff's Department, Woodbury City Police, Judicial Commissioners, Stones River Hospital and numerous other professionals in the community.
The training has been set for February 1-4. If you would like to know more about the training you may contact this office at 616-563-6690. If space is available, we will extend invitations to the public. We do plan to provide this particular training again in the near future. To learn more about this agency and how you can help in our fight please contact this office.
If you are a victim of violence, please contact this office at 615-563-6690. Our phones are manned 24/7. We are here to help.