Candidates running in the August 5 election will have a chance to sway voters to their side Friday at the Cannon County Senior Center.
The Cannon County Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring a Meet the Candidates Mixer at the Senior Center from 5 to 7 p.m. Candidates in the county general election and the statewide primaries will be on hand to meet voters and answer questions.
There is no cost to attend the event, and refreshments will be served.
The Candidate Mixer was one of the items discussed during the regular meeting of the Chamber's Board of Directors Tuesday at Stones River Hospital.
The board also:
• Welcomed new members Neal Appelbaum and Aid and Assist At Home, Inc.
• Appointed Appelbaum to head up the preparation of the Five-Year Asset Based Strategic Plan for Three-Star Certification. The plan will be presented to the Cannon County Commission for approval at its special session meeting on June 26.
• Continued talks on the development of a new Web site for the chamber. Discussion centered on a proposal submitted by Zipopolis, a company based in Murfreesboro, and a new one from a local firm, Short Mountain Studios, presented for consideration by Appelbaum. Chris "Louis" Robinson is the owner and founder of Short Mountain Studios. The board decided to schedule a presentation by Short Mountain Studios at a meeting next month.
• Approved the treasurer's report which showed $2557.23 in the Business account, $1005 in the Special Events account and $660.05 in the Street Heart Savings account.
• Carolyn Motley, services coordinator for the chamber, reported that she has made a request to the Woodbury Board of Mayor and Aldermen to increase the amount given to the Chamber yearly from $1000 to $3000, and also requested that Cannon County Government increase its annual contribution to $3000 from $50.
• Discussed planning for the first Celebration on the Square, an all-day event which will be held July 24 at the Cannon County Courthouse feature music, food and a variety of entertainment activities.
In related news, the Cannon County Merchants Association will hold an open meeting on June 24 at the courthouse at 6 p.m. The purpose of the meeting is to plan activities in conjunction with the Celebration on the Square scheduled for July 24. Contact Jennings Jewelers at 563-2421 or the Chamber of Commerce at 563-222 for further information.